BOX OFFICE & practicalities
Find below all practical information about ticket sales, festival locations, stay and travel. The 25th Winternachten Festival takes place from Wednesday 15 until Sunday 19 January 2020.
We gladly keep you posted about all programme and ticketing news through our email newsletter, subscribe here.
BUY TICKETS ONLINE
Buying tickets online is fast and easy. You pay with iDEAL or credit card. Without transaction costs. Your tickets are emailed to you. On the afternoon or evening of the event your ticket - in print form or directly from your cell phone - will be checked at the entrance.
A ticket for Friday Night Unlimited or Saturday Night Unlimited gives access that evening to all festival programmes in Theater aan het Spui and to the festival films screened in Filmhuis.
BOX OFFICE tickets
Tickets for all Winternachten festival programmes are now available for online purchase through the festival programma-overview on the Writers Unlimited website.
Buying tickets at the box offices:
- For the festival programmes in Theater aan het Spui and Filmhuis Den Haag from 15 to 19 January, and for the Storytelling Symposium on Thursday 16 February at the International Institute of Social Studies (ISS) tickets are available at the HNT-box office in the HNT-Studio's (Schouwburgstraat 8, Mo-Sat 12-18 hours) and, from one hour and a half before the start, at the box office in Theater aan het Spui; in ISS tickets may bought at the auditorium entrance from one hour before the start. In case of questions or problems, mail to email@example.com. For personal advice (reservation by telephone, receiving tickets by landmail - additional costs are due) call 088-3565356 (Mon-Sat 12:00-18:00 hours).
- Tickets for the spoken word-evening WWZ x Winternachten festival 2020 in Paard on Thursday 16 January are availabe at their evening box office that day only. Reservations are not available.
- Tickets for the Winternachten Nieuwjaarsconcert in the Zuiderstrandtheater on Sunday afternoon 19 January are available at the Bespreekbureau Zuiderstrandtheater in the Centrale Bibliotheek Den Haag (Spui 68, Tue-Fri 13-18 hours) of from one hour before the start at the box office in Zuiderstrandtheater. For personal advice (reservation by telephone, receiving tickets by landmail - additional costs are due) call 070-8800333 (Mon-Sat 13:00-18:00 hours).
- For the Winternachten Festival film programmes and film screenings during Friday and Saturday Night Unlimited in Zaal 1 and Zaal 2 of the Filmhuis Den Haag separate tickets are available, online through the Filmhuis Den Haag website or at the Filmhuis Den Haag box office. Reservations are not possible. These Filmhuis Den Haag tickets do not give access to the other festival programmes in Theater aan het Spui or other festival locations.
To obtain a reduced price ticket you should be holder of the specific reduction card. You may be asked to show your reduction card at the event entrance. No further reduction is possible for the EARLY BIRD ticket.
PRACTICAL: FOOD & DRINKS, BUS & TRAMWAY, TRAIN, BIKE OR CAR
Theater aan het Spui (address: Spui 187, 2511 BN The Hague) and the adjacent Filmhuis Den Haag together form the central location for Winternachten festival. The festival entrance is the main entrance of Theater aan het Spui.
- During the evenings of the festival Friday and Saturday (during Friday Night Unlimited and Saturday Night Unlimited) Theater aan het Spui and Filmhuis Den Haag are combined and form one large festival venue. At the festival entrance (the entrance of Theater aan het Spui) your ticket will be checked and you will receive a wristband and a free evening programme leaflet. After the ticket check, you have free access to all festival auditoriums that evening. Walk outside from theatre to filmhuis and vice versa. At the Theater aan het Spui box office festival tickets may be purchased from 1,5 hours before the start of the festival events. The programmes (each of about 30 up till 60 minutes) take place in Zaal 1, Zaal 2 and the foyer of Theater aan het Spui, and in Zaal 1, Zaal 2 and cafe of Filmhuis Den Haag. Do you want to attend the Winternachten programmes in Filmhuis Zaal 1 or 2, and you do not have a Friday or Saturday Night Unlimited ticket? For these film programmes separate tickets are available on Filmhuis Den Haag's website and box office.
- The Opening Night on the festival's Wednesday evening, the Oxfam Novib PEN Award Night and Ilja Leonard Pfeijffer is Europe on Thursday evening, the matinee programmes on the festival's Saturday and Het Schrijversfeest on the festival's Sunday afternoon take place in Zaal 1 or Zaal 2 of Theater aan het Spui. Your ticket will be checked at the auditorium entrance. At the Theater aan het Spui box office festival tickets may be purchased from 1,5 hours before the start of the events.
- VPRO's OVT Live (Dutch spoken) on the festival's Sunday morning, takes place in the foyer of Theater aan het Spui. Entrance is free, but reserving your ticket(s) is required.
- Theater aan het Spui and Filmhuis Den Haag are 'PIN only' which means that the box office and bar accept PIN payments only.
Other festival locations: Winternachten festival in The Hague neighbourhoods and schools
During the festival period we gladly welcome you at (partly freely accessible) Winternachten festival-performances by writers and poets in a number of locations all around The Hague, such as Theater en Filmhuis Dakota, Paard, International Institute of Social Studies, Speakers' Corner / Haagse Hogeschool, public library Schilderswijk and public library Nieuw Waldeck. Check the festival agenda here.
De Vries Van Stockum in foyer Theater aan het Spui
The Hague book seller De Vries Van Stockum offers during the festival period in the foyer of Theater aan het Spui a rich choice of brand new, recent and older works by the writers and poets that perform during the Winternachten festival. This collection of books especially brought together for the festival includes, if available, the original language version as well as English and Dutch translations.
Writers and poets will sign their work at the Van Stockum stand. Find who is signing when on the free programme leaflet distributed at the festival entrance or on the festival website.
Food and drinks
In the foyers of Theater aan het Spui and Filmhuis Den Haag coffee, tea, drinks and small food items may be bought.
During the festival period, Mercure Hotel Den Haag Central, Spui 180 Den Haag, situated directly opposite Theater aan het Spui and Filmhuis Den Haag, offers festival visitors the following accommodation options:
- 1 person including breakfast: 95,- exclusiding 4,45 p.p.p.n. city tax*.
- 2 persons including breakfast: 105,- excluding 4,45 p.p.p.n. city tax*.
*this is the city tax rate 2019; the rate 2020 may differ.
Booking, directly through the Mercure Hotel: send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +31 (0)70-361.15.15.
How to reach the Theater aan het Spui and Filmhuis Den Haag?
Taking a bike ride certainly is the easiest way to reach the Winternachten festival locations. For Theater aan het Spui/Filmhuis Den Haag: the nearby 'Biesieklette' guarded bicycle parking 'Stadhuis' stays open on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays until 01.00 hours; their parking 'Buitenhof' until 03.00 hours those same days. For Paard, the Biesieklette bicycle parking Grote Markt is open on Thursdays until 03:00 hours. Bicycle parking is free the first day until closing time that day. Next to the Zuiderstrandtheater is a bicycle parking, we advice to reach it via the Houtrustweg.
At Theater aan het Spui and Filmhuis Den Haag there is very limited space to park your bicycle. We advice to use the above mentioned bicycle parkings.
You may reach Winternachten festival easily with public transport. Via railroad stations Den Haag Centraal and Den Haag HS, or from anywhere in The Hague, Rijswijk, Voorburg, Leidschendam and Delft buses and tramways take you near to all festival locations. For all information, see htm.nl or 9292.nl.
By car & parking
Car parking for Theater aan het Spui and Filmhuis Den Haag: Interparking Stadhuis (Schedeldoekshaven 90, 2511 BT Den Haag, closes at 01:00 AM) or Q-Park Veerkaden (Amsterdamse Veerkade 30, 2512 AJ Den Haag, open 24/7).
Car parking for Paard: Q-Park Grote Markt (Prinsengracht 10-19, 2512 EW Den Haag, open 24/7).
Car parking for Zuiderstrandtheater: the entrance and exit of the parking are situated on the Hellingweg, to be reached via the Kranenburgweg. Best navigate on the Hellingweg to reach the parking. Take more time to reach the theatre prior to the performance due to construction works on the adjacent terrain. Costs: 5 euro, exit cards available at the theatre.
Subject to change.